3 Nuggets of Wisdom to Start 2018 Strong
featuring Guest Author Lauren Chiarello of Chi Chi Life
The holidays are a joyful and magical time, but can really derail our self-care and workout routines...Raise your hand if this is you! (I know I can totally relate.) As a fitness instructor, fundraising event planner and cancer advocate, I juggle a lot of goodness and my schedule is often a big puzzle. Here are 3 tips to start your new year off with a BANG!
1. Start a Gratitude Journal
Simply write down 3 things you’re grateful for every day. Why? Studies show that when we deliberately cultivate gratitude, we can increase our well-being and happiness. Also, gratitude can improve many areas of our lives — personality (more optimistic, more self-esteem), health (better sleep, increased energy), emotional (more resilience, happier memories), social (more friendly, deeper relationships), and career (better management, increased productivity). I hope this is a helpful tool for you!
2. Schedule Your Workouts With a Friend
I adore sweating it out next to my bestie! Your friends will hold you accountable and it’s a super fun way to get together. You can always grab a tea/smoothie post-class to catch up. Perhaps try a new type of class or exercise that you’ve been curious about...you may surprise yourself and fall in love with a new method! (Hint, hint: come take my Pilates, TRX + Barre classes in NYC at Exhale and Flex Studios!)
3. Write Down 5 Accomplishments From 2017
Oftentimes, we only look ahead. We forget to reflect back on our hard work and achievements. I did this exercise last month and felt super proud! Here’s my juicy list:
- Taught and led my first fitness, adventure and culture retreat (which also happened to be sheer across the world at Sharing Bali in Indonesia).
- Ran my first international half marathon — thank you, Banff Half Marathon!
- Nominated for America’s Most Inspiring Trainer by Reebok and Well + Good.
- Shared my story through articles, interviews and public speaking in the hopes of helping others.
- Led a Core Fusion Barre fundraising class at Exhale to benefit cancer nonprofit Imerman Angels in Chicago with a rockstar I reached out to on Instagram after learning about her fight with breast cancer.
From there, perhaps you can start to carve out a few goals for 2018. I like to look at my past adventures and use them as building blocks for the year ahead.
Cheers to an epic 2018, filled with joy, laughter, adventure, self-love and taking risks!